Saturday, November 6, 2010

Confessions

I would like to confess that I don't enjoy taking pictures of my food. This might have to do with the fact that I only have a lowly point and shoot... but I suspect it has more to do with the fact that, pancakes aside, I only cook at night. And unfortunately my kitchen is not bestowed with nice natural light... when it's dark outside... So my pictures don't turn out well, and I don't enjoy taking pictures of my food. Once upon a time V said he would make me a light box and that I could have his old Nikon D70, but these things have not materialized. So I confess that I do not enjoy taking pictures of my food. Which apparently is a death sentence for a food blog. And I'm ok with that.

I would also like to confess that I like brussels sprouts. I like them roasted with balsamic vinegar, I like them plain, but best of all I like them with a very simple sauce that my mom has been making for as long as I remember, and which we call simply "brussels sprout sauce." So here is my first photo-less recipe for you:

Blend 2 parts mayonnaise to 1 part (plain, unfancy, simple, basic, no-grain, not-dijon) mustard. Mix. Serve with steamed or boiled brussels sprouts. Serve it on the side if you're a dipper, spoon it over top if you're not.

I make no promises that this will convert non-brussels sprouts lovers, but I like it, and so I thought I would share it.

Lastly, I would like to confess that, inspired by some tasty looking recipes in the October issue of Bon Appetit, I bought artificial maple extract. I also buy artificial vanilla extract because I read once that some people did a test this one time and couldn't tell the difference in most recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment